Domain –> Host
Why? You need to do this if your domain registration was purchased on one site and your hosting on another.
How? Before you start, make sure that your know your login and passwords for both websites mentioned above.
- Start to set up your new host.* Be sure to say that you already have a domain name.
- The new host will tell you to point your domain to the new nameservers.
- Nameservers look like: ns1.hostname.com OR ns2.glom1123.hostname.com (Letters and # are variable.)
- Copy these 2 new nameservers to your clipboard.
- Login to your domain registration website and look for DNS or Nameserver tab.
- Choose “Use Custom Nameservers” NOT “Use Default Nameservers“.
- Paste the new nameservers in the spaces provided. You may be pasting over old nameservers. That’s OK.
- You should be get a success message. Wait 24 hours for the domain to resolve itself.
* If you skipped over this step when setting up the new host, go to your DNS settings to find your nameservers and proceed to step 4.